So...finally have these things going...hopefully I'm using them correctly
Waking the blog up for a soapbox moment....
January 22, 2017
Getting on my soapbox...you've been warned.
I'm very happy to know so many people who participated in yesterdays marches around the country and to share their views on gender equality, our current administration, and many of the other concerns raised by so many across the globe. The sheer volume of people who came out yesterday shows that we have a lot of power behind us.
That being said, (and I know this sentence is going to push some buttons, so I apologize in advance, I'm not trying to make anyone mad) if all we use that power for is protesting, nothing will actually be done by the groups now in power to protect the people, places and principles we all care about.
So, here are the actions I commit to take going forward:
- I am going to provide whatever financial support I can to Planned Parenthood, and to do so on a recurring basis.
- I am going to find out the names and contact information for all of my local, state and federal representatives.
- I will regularly check for upcoming legislation being voted on by said representatives and contact them via phone if there is something that I find to be detrimental to the people and values that are important to me.
- I will find ways to assist my local public school district continue to provide an education to all students.
- Lastly, I will remember something that a lot of us (including me) have forgotten lately that should give us some hope: The bad guy who stole the White House is now in a role as a public servant, which means he is OUR employee. If we don't like the job he and the plutocracy he has created are doing, we have the ability to fire them.
These are the things I will do to fight back. What will you be doing?